javascript:void(0) busy that day...: thirtysomething.

it's not me, it's you.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

thirtysomething.

I officially don't turn 30 until 5:58 EST, so I'm still in my twenties for now, right?

As mentioned in a post from last week, I spent the thirty days leading to my 30th birthday recounting my favorite memories of the last decade via facebook.  It's been such a fun daily task, thinking of all the amazing people, places and things I have encountered since 2001.  Here's the complete list, all in one place!
  1. 2004 – The infamous “Cocktails and Cleavage” birthday party on Franklin Street.  Commons Crew, you know what I'm talkin' 'bout.
  2. 2003 – Numerous road trips from Richmond to NYC, but especially Thanksgiving and the Macy’s Parade in New York City with Michael and Rich.  Thank you for letting me sleep on your couch and experience holidays in the big city!
  3. 2002 – Living in a big ‘ol house with 4 pretty amazing roommates.  Although we had our drama, the good times were GREAT.  I’ll never forget 1310 late nights with Heather, Holly, Megan and Gretchen.
  4. 2006 – Crossing my fingers, marketing myself and landing a job in Chicago.  IIT has been my home for almost five years and has introduced me to so many great friends!
  5. 2006 – Graduating from the University of Virginia with a Master’s Degree in Higher Education.
  6. 2002 – Celebrating my parents’ 30th Wedding Anniversary.  Thank you for giving me a stable household, supporting me when I needed it most and for showing me that it IS possible to love and live with someone for life!
  7. 2003 – The exploding cake incident with Meena, my BFF.
  8. 2007 – Becoming an aunt.  Thank you to my sister for giving birth to the coolest kid I know.
  9. 2004 – Learning that sometimes to move on, you have to move out… so that’s what I did.  Interstate 64 led me to Charlottesville and the University of Virginia.
  10. 2002 – Dinner at Joe’s Inn with Amy… gold lame pants and cat ladies in training!  
  11. 2002 – Becoming Information Center Manager at the VCU Student Commons, attempting to fill the larger-than-life shoes of two great Michaels.
  12. 2001 – Alpha Gamma Delta.  This should really be a decade-long memory, from being a new member to becoming a Colony and Chapter Advisor.  So many of you impacted me in so many ways you’ll never know; I’m thankful every day for you!
  13. 2005 – Applying to graduate school, because literally anything sounded more appealing than another day in financial aid.  Thanks to my Cville friends for helping make those days more bearable.
  14. 2007 – Watching my best friend marry her perfect match in style at the University of Richmond Chapel and celebrating at the VCU Alumni House.  And then, defiling a poor R2D2 cake at the bar.
  15. 2007 – Grilled Cheese Mondays at the Edgewater Lounge with the Aville contingent.
  16. 2004 – The famous vacation to the Outer Banks and The Land Before Time.  Robots, fireworks, sun poisoning and seamen abounded.  Good times.
  17. 2010 – Whirlwind summer vacation, featuring the wedding of Emily and Brent in Atlanta, being lucky in Las Vegas, a drive through the desert and MLB in Phoenix.  Definitely a memory-filled week of different people, places and things!
  18. 2004 – Hard times in Charlottesville, VA.  I truly learned the meaning of lonely, but learned a lot about myself.  
  19. 2005 – Graduate School at UVa.  Learning about a true passion, meeting great friends and classmates, and finding out that you actually CAN love what you do.  Good times in and out of class with my amazing cohort!
  20. 2008 – Took a big chance and went turtle racing with a cute boy I met on the internet.  Went against my rule and kissed him on the first date-- it turned out to be a pretty solid decision. I haven’t gone a day since then without at least hearing his voice, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  <3 you, Jeremy.
  21. 2008 – Graduating from Virginia Commonwealth University with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology.
  22. 2007 – Reconnecting with high school friends, especially Brooke and Louise!.
  23. 2008 – Not being afraid to ask for what I wanted at work, and actually getting it.
  24. 2001 – Becoming a VCU Orientation Leader and being inspired to take a good, hard look at Student Affairs as a career path.  Thank you to all my mentors for their guidance!
  25. VA meets MA thanks to Angel & Meena.  Nothing says "great trip" like duckpin bowling and getting pulled over in Peabody!  
  26. 2006 – Going against everyone’s advice and moving to Chicago.  All on my own, 1000 miles from family and most friends.  It’s been an adventure!
  27. 2001 – Thinking a "busy" day consisted of tanning, shopping, going to one class and watching American Idol.  Oh, to be young and carefree!
  28. 2007- Surviving my first huge, self-planned event at work-- I took event planners for granted before having to do it all myself.  So fun, but so exhausting!
  29. 2011 - Looking back on all the memories of my twenties and beyond, and realizing how lucky I am to have so many wonderful people and things I have known and seen.
  30. 2009 – Said “I love you” and never looked back. Finding Jeremy has changed my life more than he’ll ever know. I look forward to forever with that guy, he's the best!
That's all I got. I could spend an entire year talking about my favorite memories! I hope you enjoy reading them, and if you were involved in any of them, THANK YOU. Happy Birthday to me!

2 comments: