javascript:void(0) busy that day...: growing up is hard to do.

it's not me, it's you.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

growing up is hard to do.

Today officially marks the start of the last week of my twenties.  I feel... weird.

It's an odd thing thing to consider that at my age, my parents had an 8 year old and a 2 year old, a mortgage and two cars.  While I have chosen different paths than my mom and dad in almost every respect of major life decisions, I still feel behind the curve.  Many of our friends are married, have pets, children and own homes (sometimes two homes!).  I, however, rent a condo, have no pets, kids and no immediate plans for marriage.  I chose to put my education and personal desires among what might be considered the norm; at times, I feel like I may have made poor decisions, but ultimately I am totally content with where, who and what I am.

I never had a bucket list of things to accomplish before 30.  However, if we are friends on facebook (and if we're not, go ahead and add me), you know that I am spending this last month of 29 sharing a daily favorite memory of my twenties.  Next Thursday on my birthday, I'll share the entire list, en masse, here.

I've always been focused on preserving meaningful moments in my life; my office at work has no fewer than 46 (seriously, I just counted) framed photos scatted on the shelves, bookcases and desk.  I find peace in occasionally glancing up and seeing familiar faces, places and remembering great times with those who mean the most to me.  I'm never without my camera and often take pictures of even the most mundane things so that I have a visual representation of things past.  What ways do you find to remember the past and your favorite things?  Do you rely on photos, scrapbooks, journals or something else?  I'm looking for ways to expand my creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment