javascript:void(0) busy that day...: dancing days are here again.

it's not me, it's you.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

dancing days are here again.

As mentioned in my previous post, I went to college at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA (along with my fabulous friend, Amy over @ Sam I Am).  I graduated in 2003, right around the time VCU Basketball started getting hot-- they made their first NCAA tournament appearance in almost 10 years in 2004. Even though sports weren't a big deal on campus, I attended many a basketball game at the Siegel Center during my undergraduate years.  I rarely turn down a cheap event, and as students, admission was always free!

Anyway, fast forward through the next 7 years, and VCU has made three other NCAA tournament fields, including the famed 2007 thumping of powerhouse Duke University in the first round-- Duke's only first round loss since 1996.  Basketball has progressively gotten better and better, and VCU's school spirit has exponentially improved since I graduated.  It's a really cool thing to see as an alumni and supporter!

So now, here's the thing: VCU had a crappy February 2011.  They lost the Colonial Athletic Association tournament and finished out of the top 2 spots in the regular season.  And according to NCAA history, the CAA has never been given more than one bid to the big dance.  Things changed this season, though: the selection committee saw some merit in VCU and gave the CAA three bids for the first time ever.  This year, VCU was given one of those crazy new spots in the NCAA tournament that required a play-in game, despite being an 11th seed.  Critcism was rampant among sports writers and critics; the most infamous words coming from ESPN analyst Jay Bilas:

"I’ve seen UAB play. I’ve seen VCU play... All of the teams on the ‘snub list’ should have gotten in before those two. All of them. There’s a reason none of us brought up UAB and VCU as having a chance to get in — and it’s because they had no chance to get in. The committee has gone against their own principles."

In true underdog style, you can imagine how things have unfolded.  VCU beat USC 59-46 in the first round, winning a trip to the second round in Chicago, IL.  My excitement level was at about 110% when I realized this.
Seeing the opportunity to watch my alma mater play in the NCAA tournament was an offer I couldn't refuse.  The alumni association was offering tickets at a fair rate, so I purchased two seats for Jeremy and I.  The first game was Friday night; I headed to the United Center after work and picked up our tickets-- happily discovering they were prime seats: Section 113, and just about 15 rows off the floor!







As you may already know, VCU pounded Georgetown by a margin of 74-56.  It was a great game, but a little uneventful since the Rams absolutely dominated the entire time!  The win meant we also were automatically granted tickets for the next round's game on Sunday.  




We were rewarded in Round 3 with another victory-- VCU slammed Purdue (in a stadium FULL of Purdue fans, I might add), by a margin of 94-76.  It was an amazing feeling, because we witnessed history!  Sunday's win allowed VCU into their first-ever Sweet Sixteen.  For a team that "didn't deserve" to be in the tournament, we sure are shutting up all the critics at a rapid rate!

What team are you rooting for this March Madness?  I'm VCU all the way!  The only sad thing is that the next game, against Florida State, is being held on Friday night at 9pm CST... and I have to work on Friday night for a special event until midnight!  So, be sure to tune in to the game, cheer on the Rams and yell loud for me!

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, Michigan is out :( Glad your team is still in it to win it!

    ReplyDelete