javascript:void(0) busy that day...: the travel bug.

it's not me, it's you.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

the travel bug.

The travel bug is biting again...

Almost immediately upon arriving back from our February trip to the Bahamas, J and I were vacation dreaming of where and when our next adventure would be.  Thoughts of faraway places swirled through my head-- Mexico, Ireland, Italy, Hawaii.  The biggest obstacle we have to traveling is money.  Finding somewhere we are excited about visiting AND that we can afford is always the kicker.  I even tossed in some more affordable locales like New Orleans, Charleston/Savannah and the Grand Canyon.  Problem is, nothing has so far met my criteria:

  • Affordable 
  • Includes one of the following: meals, excursions or airfare
  • Fits within a 5 night period
  • Has exciting things to do, see and explore
We also are limited to traveling the week of October 23-30.  We are traveling to Virginia October 21 for a wedding and would leave on vacation afterwards, since we'll already be out of state and since we have some airline credits we need to use up.

Right now, I think we are leaning towards a cruise to the Bahamas or Mexico.  We're not super sold on the idea of returning to the Bahamas again, only for the fact that we'd like to see a new place.  However, I'm not going to turn my nose up at the idea of a sunny tropical beach if the alternative is nothing!

Has anyone out there ever cruised before?  Carnival seems to have the most reasonable rates and their ships look pretty fun, but the reviews are hit or miss-- a phrase I've seen repeated is " floating trailer park", which is not exactly the vibe I'm seeking.  Royal Caribbean and Norwegian are our other two options.  We'd like to do a 4-5 day trip, but I could be open to a longer trip if affordable.  

Also, if you've cruised before, any tips for those of us who might turn a little green out on the blue sea?  I didn't get sick in the Bahamas, but I mainly closed my eyes and sat very still on our boat trips.  I won't have that option for a straight week, obviously, and don't want to spend the entire trip zapped out on Dramamine, either!

No comments:

Post a Comment