javascript:void(0) busy that day...: an offer i couldn't refuse.

it's not me, it's you.

Monday, January 9, 2012

an offer i couldn't refuse.

For all those who've begged for the story via email, facebook and twitter, here you go.  I'm not big on sharing major personal details, but this seems to be one of those situations where NOT telling the story lends itself to more questions than just biting the bullet!


Quite honestly, we've been talking about getting married since a few weeks into our relationship.  However, we've been through a lot in the last few years that prohibited the timing or funding supporting the idea of getting engaged.  Admittedly, I had grown impatient with our situation; living together for 2.5 years and sharing so much, it felt weird to not be on the official path to marriage.  Turning 30 this year, I had a little bit of a heart palpitation thinking about not being married or a mother.  Old-fashioned and unhip, I know... but I waited 27 years to find this man and I've waited even longer to be a mom!


I had always told J I hated two types of proposals: ones that take place in public and ones that take place on holidays (apologies to those who like those situations).  Over Thanksgiving, J and I discussed getting engaged within the next few months.  As I looked at the calendar in December, I noticed that two of my most hated proposal possibilities were on the horizon; we were attending a Chicago Blackhawks game mid-month and would then be visiting my family in Virginia for Christmas.


The Blackhawks game came and went without a proposal.  We exchanged our personal gifts to each other on December 21, a little different than in years past, so that we didn't have to transport extra stuff with us on the drive.  As we left for Virginia on December 22, I joking asked J if he had a ring with him for Christmas.  His poker face didn't reveal much, and I thought we might make it past the holiday without being engaged.  It was a melancholy feeling.  


On Christmas morning, I woke up and began cooking for our family dinner.  In the early afternoon, I showered and got dressed as Jeremy made Christmas phone calls to his family and friends.  As I finished getting ready, Jeremy approached me and pulled out a shiny silver box.  He opened it to reveal a gorgeous ring, put an arm around my waist and popped the question!  At first I was shocked-- the first word out of my mouth was "REALLY?!"  However, I caught myself and realized what was happening.  Without hesitation, I said yes and he put the ring on my finger.  We spent the rest of the day telling family and friends our news (my mom's reaction was priceless) and enjoying Christmas with my family.


It's been a little over two weeks since he asked, and things are in a holding pattern.  I'm thrilled to be engaged but very impatient.  As a big planner, I am frustrated that we are waiting on other details to fall into place before exploring wedding ideas ourselves.  It's hard to not at least have a date or location tied down-- I think once we get into making some headway on those decisions, things will really feel real.  That, and when we have to start spending money, of course...

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you shared the story here, too, and I hope things are going better on the wedding planning front.

    I tagged you in an 11 Things post I did recently and would love to see your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done! Home alone on a Saturday night = blogging time!

      Delete